History of Grace Church
The origins of Grace Church Markham can be traced back to the early 19th century when the Rev V. Philip Mayerhoffer was sent as a missionary into the townships of Vaughan and Markham. In the late 1830's Rev. V. Mayerhoffer gathered funds for the erection of two Anglican church buildings - St. Stephen's, at what is now Maple, and St. Philip's, Unionville. Later, a building known as "the English Church, Markham Village", was erected near the intersection of Hwys. 7 and 48. The parcel of land was given by Captain Willam Armstroung.
While the Rev. G. S. J. Hill was the incumbent of the parish (1849 to 1876) the congregation acquired the title of "Grace Church". In the early 20th century Grace Church was part of three-point parish which included St. Philip's, Unionville and Christ Church, Stouffville. In 1954 Grace Church became a separate and independent parish.
In 1955 property was acquired on Parkway Avenue and in 1959 a rectory and the present parish hall were built. The Upper Hall was used for the church from 1963 to 1971. The original frame church was deconstructed and destroyed in 1963 after some 115 years of constant use. By November of 1971 a new church worship area had been added to the east of the lobby and hall, and in 1974 the stained glass windows from the original building were restored and rededicated. In 1987 work was completed on an addition to the building which enlarged the worship area, and added offices and meeting rooms.
In 1996 Grace Church celebrated its 150th Anniversary. On Sunday April 21st, Bishop T.E. Finlay and parishioners paraded in period costume from the site of the original pioneer church to the present site.
Read More: A Detailed History of Grace Church